Eglise de Sainte-Radegonde et sa vueEglise de Sainte-Radegonde et sa vue
©Eglise de Sainte-Radegonde et sa vue|Mairie de Sainte-Radegonde
DiscoverSainte‑Radegonde.

Sainte‑Radegonde

In Rodez Agglomération, Sainte-Radegonde is a commune steeped in history: the monument to the Resistance and its two churches are particularly worth seeing.

The town in the South-East of the Rodez area is named after Saint Radegund, King Clothar I’s queen in the 6th century. Feast your eyes on incredible views of the entire area from the Martyrs de la Résistance monument.

History and heritage

Sainte-Radegonde is packed with history and heritage:

  • two 14th and 15th century fortified churches in Sainte-Radegonde and Inières,
  • the Regional Resistance Monument and “tranchée des fusillés” in tribute to people executed by firing squad,
  • the Renaissance-style Yence House in Sainte-Radegonde village centre with its large cross and half-cross windows and small sculpted figures,
  • the 14th century Hyars seigniorial château,
  • the Roman road (the current GR62),
  • Istournet Lake has become a place to walk and fish since it was redesigned in 2009,
  • small built heritage such as the fountains, dolmen relics, walls and crucifixes dotted around.

Sainte-Radegonde and Inières churches

  • Sainte-Radegonde Church was built in a simple shape in the Romanesque period before being expanded in the 13th century and decorated with murals depicting the Saint Radegund cult. A three-storey tower was built over the nave and the rest of the church was raised around 1360. A six-storey tower with a spiral staircase on the north side was added in 1380. New chambers, such as the one in the priory, were built in the 15th century bringing their final total to 42. The gradual fortification explains the building’s disparate appearance as it evolved with forms of defence.
  • The bishop allowed the residents of Inières to fortify and raise the church that was falling into ruin in 1442. Work was completed in 1455. Partly restored, the upper floors house shelter dorms which were rented out until the 17th century. The church’s north chapel is where you’ll find the Annunciation group commissioned by the Rodez merchant Vigouroux for Rodez Cathedral in the 15th century. It was moved to Inières during the Revolution’s turmoil and a copy was placed in Rodez.

Practical information.

Discover

Rodez Agglomération.