The original church was built in the 12th century on Saint Amans’ grave (†440), the first evangelist bishop in Rodez and its region. Local materials were used at the time of construction:
- Cayssiols sandstone for the main body,
- Combret sandstone for more detailed parts,
- Bozouls and Salles-la-Source tuff for the vault.
But this Romanesque church was completely destroyed around 1750.